Thursday 2 August 2012

Lessons From An Excited Olympic Volunteer.

In my own humble way I have always loved to give back to society my skills and time; so when I had the opportunity of playing an active role in volunteering, i gave it my all. The first task after my volunteering orientation was to be part of a dedicated team who have been assigned the role of recruiting London Ambassadors in Enfield for the Olympic. Ah! the excitement was next to none.

When the program ended, I had this urge that there was more volunteering roles out there to do. Without wasting time I signed up to be a cast at the Olympic [opening and closing] ceremonies. As soon as i passed the auditions, I said to myself - 'The best moments in my life has been the ones without monetary attachments'.
Honestly, the rehearsals were tasking, coupled with the weather, distance to and from practice ground, work and family commitments - all these put together was enough to discourage me from continuing. But each time I turned up, I saw people who were far older than I was in age still giving their very best. people were coming to London from all over the UK [Manchester, Reading, Newcastle, etc]; heard someone came from Belgium. That was the turning point. What did these guys feel that I wasn't feeling, yet they remained committed.
Volunteers do not necessarily have the time; they just have the heart.

The routine involved drumming and marshaling, Every move had a sequence, rhythm and style which over 1,000 volunteers had to perform. Timing was very important, focus was intense; but the volunteer love was burning deep in the heart.
When trying to quantify the amount of time, money and energy put into the Olympics, I feel very proud that I did all of that to achieve success for London and entertainment for the over one billion people all over the world that tuned in to watch the opening ceremony. The friends I gained, the skills i built, the exposure to new things and of course the fact that my family and friends watched me on live TV.
As I write this piece, the rehearsals for the closing ceremonies has begun and I will be braving the traffic and weather to be at my very best. Volunteering is fun, its not a choice, its a responsibility.

These words from Harriet Naylor sums up my piece - "Volunteering can be an exciting, growing, enjoyable experience. It is truly gratifying to serve a cause, practice one's ideals, work with people, solve problems, see benefits, and know one had a hand in them".

No comments:

Post a Comment